Archives by Blog Posts

Grybiškių Oak

It is the largest and oldest oak in the Dieveniškės Historical Regional Park. Oak trunk volume is 4.98 m, diameter 1.6 m and a height of 26 m. Just...

Stakų Oak

Stakų Oak forms a nice, widely ramified cone and a low crown. This is a typical example of a tree which grew in the open landscape. "Free" growing tree...

Barrows in Poškonys

Barrows are our ancestors' graves. They were created when pouring over mounds to bury the dead. Around the barrow mounds are often found stone wreaths, which, according to...

Eišiškių castle

Between the 14th -15th centuries, Eišiškių was formally a brick castle that defended Lithuania against enemies from eastern borders. In the 14th century chronicles, Eišiškių castle is mentioned as...

Bečionių Hill Fort

For the first time Bečionių Hill Fort was investigated by the Institute of History in the middle of the last century. On the hill fort archaeologists discovered a cultural...

Old Town of Dieveniškės

Dieveniškės - historically and architecturally interesting town. It is a typical example of an old Lithuanian settlement, mainly spread in the south-east of Lithuania and the neighborhood areas of...

Old town of Eišiškės

Eišiškės is one of the oldest settlements in Lithuania. Lithuanian Chronicle mentions that Eišiškės were founded by Samogitian Duke Mantvilas son Mikšys. In the 16th century Eišiškės were considered...

Memorial place for Gintaras Žagūnis in Krakūnai

Žagūnis was born in 1957 in Pakruojis district, then studied in Trakai and Lentvaris. After graduating from Vilnius Civil Engineering School he worked as a foreman, engineer, senior technician...

Kaniūkai Cross

Kaniūkai village, located on the south-eastern outskirts of Rūdninkų forest near the present Lithuanian-Belarus border, next to the Šalčia river. In years 1920-1939 Kaniūkai belonged to the Polish controlled...

Balinski and Sniadecki family cemetery

One considerably valued site is the Balinski Sniadecki family cemetery in Jašiūnai, by the front of the palace, close to the river Merkys. In 1830 the estate owner...

Scroll to Top