Since 1402 Jašiūnų settlement belonged to one of the most powerful, noble and richest of Lithuanian families, the Radziwill family. In 1811 the Radziwill family sold the Jašiūnų Palace to Ignacas Balinskis. After his death the Palace passed into the possesion of his younger son Mykolas Balinskis. In 1820, Mykolas married Sofija Sniadeckyte, the daughter of Vilnius University professor Andrius Sniadeckis, and the Sniadeckių family settled down in the Jašiūnų Palace. Jašiūnai increased in popularity when Professor John Sniadecki, retiring from the University Rector’s office, decided to settle here also. With his finances, a luxurious late classicist style palace, designed by Vilnius University architecture professor Karolis Podcasinskis, was constructed. From an architectural point of view, other former Palace buildings are considered very valuable, including Oficina, built in the classical architecture style. Construction of the palace continued through the period of so-called ‘historicism’ and the grounds of the palace extended to contain stables and a barn. The living quarters of gardeners, foresters and drivers were on the second floor of the palace.
Jašiūnai was an important cultural centre of the previous century, being a home and recurring visiting place to many well known and respected people. The Balinski family took care of industrial development, and on their initiative in the 19th century was launched a wood processing industry in Jašiūnai, which included a sawmill, turpentine factory, and later followed by a forge and copper foundry. After Michael Balinski’s death, Jašiūnai was inherited by his son Konstantinas. The last owner of the Palace was Aleksandras and Ana from Balinski Peresvet-Soltanai familly.
The creation of Jašiūnų park began before the construction of the Palace. Covering 11 hectares, it is one of the most beautiful classical gardens in Lithuania, located along the river Merkys. Spacious lawn covers more than half the territory of the park, which is about 6 hectares.