Via car

CAR ROUTE – A1 (71km)

a1
A1

ŠALČININKAI – JAŠIŪNAI (17 km) – VILKIŠKĖS (12 km) – TURGELIAI (10 km) – TABARIŠKĖS (5 km) – AKMENYNĖ (16 km) – ŠALČININKAI (11 km)

Vagner Palace

DSC_8976       DSC_9050       DSC_9014

One of the oldest buildings in Šalčininkų city is Vagner Palace, dating back to the 14th century. It has passed through many hands over the years, initially belonging to Glebavičius, and later Chodkevičiai, but since 1835 it has belonged to Vilnius pharmacists Martynas and Karolis Vagner. In 1880 Vitoldas Vagner built a two-story Neo-Renaissance-style palace with two porticoes. German architect Hetshold updated the building, merging a new palace with the original built by Chodkevičiai. Thus, “Oficina”was created in the old palace that included a special section of the building with rooms for the servants. Vagner Palace flourished during the inter-war period, when it was under control of Vitoldas son Karolis. Vagner farm (next to the Palace) was considered exemplary in the whole Vilnius region. The Vagner farm was being visited by many foreign delegations. Inside the Palace still stands a great tile stove and the so-called “golden hall”. It is currently home to the Arts School of Stanislaw Moniuszko (lit. Stanislavo Moniuškos menų mokykla). MORE

Jašiūnų Palace

DSC_0517       DSC_9242       DSC_8589

Since 1402 Jašiūnų settlement belonged to one of the most powerful, noble and richest of Lithuanian families, the Radziwill family. In 1811 the Radziwill family sold the Jašiūnų Palace to Ignacas Balinskis. After his death the Palace passed into the possesion of his younger son Mykolas Balinskis. In 1820, Mykolas married Sofija Sniadeckyte, the daughter of Vilnius University professor Andrius Sniadeckis, and the Sniadeckių family settled down in the Jašiūnų Palace. Jašiūnai increased in popularity when Professor John Sniadecki, retiring from the University Rector’s office, decided to settle here also. With his finances, a luxurious late classicist style palace, designed by Vilnius University architecture professor Karolis Podcasinskis, was constructed. From an architectural point of view, other former Palace buildings are considered very valuable, including Oficina, built in the classical architecture style. Construction of the palace continued through the period of so-called ‘historicism’ and the grounds of the palace extended to contain stables and a barn. The living quarters of gardeners, foresters and drivers were on the second floor of the palace.

Jašiūnai was an important cultural centre of the previous century, being a home and recurring visiting place to many well known and respected people. The Balinski family took care of industrial development, and on their initiative in the 19th century was launched a wood processing industry in Jašiūnai, which included a sawmill, turpentine factory, and later followed by a forge and copper foundry. After Michael Balinski’s death, Jašiūnai was inherited by his son Konstantinas. The last owner of the Palace was Aleksandras and Ana from Balinski Peresvet-Soltanai familly. MORE

Jašiūnų Park

The creation of Jašiūnų park began before the construction of the Palace. Covering 11 hectares, it is one of the most beautiful classical gardens in Lithuania, located along the river Merkys. Spacious lawn covers more than half the territory of the park, which is about 6 hectares. MORE

Balinski and Sniadecki family cemetery

One considerably valued site is the Balinski Sniadecki family cemetery in Jašiūnai, by the front of the palace, close to the river Merkys. In 1830 the estate owner John Sniadecki was the first to be buried there, followed by 18 family members. Most significant include the Rector of the University of Vilnius, astronomy and mathematics professor J. Sniadecki (1756-1830), historian M. Balinski (1824-1902), John Balinski (1824-1902) – a psychiatrist and a St. Petersburg Military Academy professor and their relatives. MORE

St. St. Anne's Church

DSC_0749-Edit

St. Anne’s church in Jašiūnai was founded in 1515. It belonged to the Reformed Church – in 1640 the church was robbed by troops led by the Duke Jonušas Radziwill, and in the beginning of the 18th century the church was burned by Swedish Protestant army, thus the town had no temple (except chapels) for a while. On the other hand, there were chapels built, also there was a Dominican monk in the town, maintained by the Palace owners in the middle of XIX century. Unfortunately, in year 1866 the tsarist government closed the chapel. In 1929 the St. Anne’s Church with its three naves and one tower was erected and is considered the Jašiūnų village centrepiece. MORE

Kobilinskiai Chapel

DSC_0278       DSC_1028       DSC_0279

The Kobilinskiai Chapel is a classical-style building with harmonious forms. It has got a rotunda with a dome tower and annexes on the sides. Built in 1850 from brick, the interior décor of its various paintings and sculptures have been preserved until the present. MORE

Pavlov Republic

DSC_0512       DSC_0431       DSC_0544-Edit

Up the river Merkinė is an old manor, now known as the Pavlov Republic, which was at ceratin periods owned by various nobility fammilies, notably the families Radziwill, Sluškiai, Potocky, Dunin, Sanguškiai, Korsak. In 1767 the manor was bought by a young priest, who at that time was an activist of the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Pawel Ksawery Brzostowski. He named it Pavlov Republic, started reforms, abolished socage, distributed land to peasants and introduced a special land usage fee. The Republic had its own constitution, coat of arms, money, parliament, mutual insurance treasury, police, doctors and a school. The president of the Republic took care of commonwealth of peasants, culture, education, created plays when his peasants performed and sent information about the Republic issues to the newspapers. The republic existed for nearly 30 years. Now the ruins of the manor house are one of the most attractive and the most important point for the school trips, tourists and guests visiting Šalčininkai district. MORE

Vilkiškiai mansion

DSC_0641       zzz_8513       zzz_8526

Built in 1847 by the noble Domochovskiai family, Vilkiškiai mansion is a rectangular, wooden one-storey building, raising on a high stone foundation, and decorated with a mezzanine double-decker portico. Each floor was based on elegant columns, with wide stairs at the entrance of the mansion, and cascades of wooden carvings falling from the window gave the mansion very particular charm. The mansion was surrounded by a park with lime and oak alleys and majestic larch trees. Unfortunately, the tsarist government took over the possession of the mansion as the Domochovski family participated in the 1863 uprising (a national liberation uprising that involved the Kingdom of Poland, Lithuania, and part of Byelorussia). During Soviet times the building was used for a school. The mansion is currently under reconstruction, with plans to be used for cultural and educational purposes. MORE

Turgeliai St. Virgin Mary of the Assumption Church

DSC_0268       DSC_0535       turgeliu baznycia

The first church in Turgeliai was built in 1511 by Vaclavas and his brother Aleksandras Mangridai and also Viktoras Gabrialovičius. The current St. Virgin Mary of the Assumption Church is constructed from brick but rebuilt in 1897-1909 by architect Alexei Polozov.

Polozovas retained most of the old walls of the church. On the triple knave in the façade he raised two towers and created a new Neo-Baroque style shell of the existing architecture form. Between 1928-1930, artists Valdemaras Kačinskis and Skvarčinskis decorated the interior, under the direction of Konstantinas Čarneckis. Compositions were painted in the vaults above the choir organ, as well as the middle nave above the pillars, side naves and sanctuary. The 20th century church equipment has remained up to this day, as well as paintings and sculptures and the stained-glass windows created in the second part of the twentieth and in the beginning of this century. MORE

St. Archangel Michael Church in Tabariškės

DSC_0374       DSC_0391       DSC_0392

Built in 1770 by Lithuanian scribe Mykolas Skarbek-Važinskis, the wooden church of St. Michael the Archangel in Tabariškės remains one of the oldest churches in the district of Šalčininkai. In 1809 a poorhouse was established next to the monastery. Old Rule Carmelite monks came to take care of the parish schools and hospitals. The monks helped to preserve the side knave altars that have been decorated with wood carvings. There are also genteel sculptures, valuable easel paintings, including portraits of A. Važinskis, St. Ann with St. Joseph, St. Joachim image and Christ with reed painting. The church displays a distinctive baroque style reliquary, liturgical vessels, portable altars. There is also a n iron bell and embroidered chasubles from the beginning of the 19th century , ordered by the founder of the church. MORE

Povilas Ksavery Bžostovskis Local History Museum in Turgeliai

In P. K. Bžostovskis Local History Museum, you can discover the rich history of Turgeliai town. It is home to architectural elements belonging to the manor house, including documents and publications on Pavlov Republic, The museum consists of 7 sections, which are about 3,000 exhibits such as unique maps, documents, extremely rare books, prayer books and estate utensils. MORE

Anna Krepštul Museum

DSC_0347       muziejus-anakrepstul-4       muziejus-anakrepstul-6

A museum dedicated to the Folk painter Anna Krepštul (1932-2007) is located in the Multifunctional Centre in Tabariškės. A prolific and an incredibly productive painter, she created over 3,500 pieces throughout her life, evoking beauty, goodness and tranquillity. The museum exhibits 50 of her pieces, whilst other works belong to private art collections in Lithuania, Poland, USA, England. Some are exhibited in the Rostov-on-Don church in Russia and church in Vitebsk in Belorussia. In the museum there is a reconstruction of her painting room, and also her wheelchair. MORE

CAR ROUTE – A2 (106km)

a2
A2

ŠALČININKAI – JAŠŪNAI (17 km) – RŪDNINKAI (12 km) – RŪDNINKŲ GIRIOS BIOSFEROS POLIGONAS (8 km) – ŽYGMANTIŠKĖS ( 14,5 km) – EIŠIŠKĖS (20 km) – BUTRIMONYS (16 km) – KANIŪKAI (7,5 km) – ŠALČININKAI (11 km)

Vagner Palace

DSC_8976       DSC_9050       DSC_9014

One of the oldest buildings in Šalčininkų city is Vagner Palace, dating back to the 14th century. It has passed through many hands over the years, initially belonging to Glebavičius, and later Chodkevičiai, but since 1835 it has belonged to Vilnius pharmacists Martynas and Karolis Vagner. In 1880 Vitoldas Vagner built a two-story Neo-Renaissance-style palace with two porticoes. German architect Hetshold updated the building, merging a new palace with the original built by Chodkevičiai. Thus, “Oficina”was created in the old palace that included a special section of the building with rooms for the servants. Vagner Palace flourished during the inter-war period, when it was under control of Vitoldas son Karolis. Vagner farm (next to the Palace) was considered exemplary in the whole Vilnius region. The Vagner farm was being visited by many foreign delegations. Inside the Palace still stands a great tile stove and the so-called “golden hall”. It is currently home to the Arts School of Stanislaw Moniuszko (lit. Stanislavo Moniuškos menų mokykla). MORE

Jašiūnų Palace

DSC_0517       DSC_9242       DSC_8589

Since 1402 Jašiūnų settlement belonged to one of the most powerful, noble and richest of Lithuanian families, the Radziwill family. In 1811 the Radziwill family sold the Jašiūnų Palace to Ignacas Balinskis. After his death the Palace passed into the possesion of his younger son Mykolas Balinskis. In 1820, Mykolas married Sofija Sniadeckyte, the daughter of Vilnius University professor Andrius Sniadeckis, and the Sniadeckių family settled down in the Jašiūnų Palace. Jašiūnai increased in popularity when Professor John Sniadecki, retiring from the University Rector’s office, decided to settle here also. With his finances, a luxurious late classicist style palace, designed by Vilnius University architecture professor Karolis Podcasinskis, was constructed. From an architectural point of view, other former Palace buildings are considered very valuable, including Oficina, built in the classical architecture style. Construction of the palace continued through the period of so-called ‘historicism’ and the grounds of the palace extended to contain stables and a barn. The living quarters of gardeners, foresters and drivers were on the second floor of the palace.

Jašiūnai was an important cultural centre of the previous century, being a home and recurring visiting place to many well known and respected people. The Balinski family took care of industrial development, and on their initiative in the 19th century was launched a wood processing industry in Jašiūnai, which included a sawmill, turpentine factory, and later followed by a forge and copper foundry. After Michael Balinski’s death, Jašiūnai was inherited by his son Konstantinas. The last owner of the Palace was Aleksandras and Ana from Balinski Peresvet-Soltanai familly. MORE

Jašiūnų Park

The creation of Jašiūnų park began before the construction of the Palace. Covering 11 hectares, it is one of the most beautiful classical gardens in Lithuania, located along the river Merkys. Spacious lawn covers more than half the territory of the park, which is about 6 hectares. MORE

Balinski and Sniadecki family cemetery

One considerably valued site is the Balinski Sniadecki family cemetery in Jašiūnai, by the front of the palace, close to the river Merkys. In 1830 the estate owner John Sniadecki was the first to be buried there, followed by 18 family members. Most significant include the Rector of the University of Vilnius, astronomy and mathematics professor J. Sniadecki (1756-1830), historian M. Balinski (1824-1902), John Balinski (1824-1902) – a psychiatrist and a St. Petersburg Military Academy professor and their relatives. MORE

St. Anne's Church

DSC_0749-Edit

St. Anne’s church in Jašiūnai was founded in 1515. It belonged to the Reformed Church – in 1640 the church was robbed by troops led by the Duke Jonušas Radziwill, and in the beginning of the 18th century the church was burned by Swedish Protestant army, thus the town had no temple (except chapels) for a while. On the other hand, there were chapels built, also there was a Dominican monk in the town, maintained by the Palace owners in the middle of XIX century. Unfortunately, in year 1866 the tsarist government closed the chapel. In 1929 the St. Anne’s Church with its three naves and one tower was erected and is considered the Jašiūnų village centrepiece. MORE

St. Trinity Church in Rūdninkai

DSC_1003       DSC_1028-HDR       DSC_1012

Rūdninkai is a village on the right bank of the river Merkys in the Rūdninkų Forest and located in the old Vilnius-Krakow route. During the 15th to the 17th centuries, Rūdninkų Forest served as the royal hunting reserve, and the Duke Kazimieras constructed a house for the huntsmen. In 1470, the Duke ordered to build a chapel in the hunting manor for the parishioners of the neighbouring villages. It unfortunately burned down and the villagers wanted to have a church. Their excuse for wanting a church came from an incident involving a bear attack upon the Duke Kazimieras, but the Duke was saved by his assistant. The church was built by Kazimieras’s son Žygimantas Senasis decorated with Duke salvation Votua “Bear Claw”. During one night in the 16th century, Queen Barbora’s coffin was kept in the church, when the funeral procession made it’s way from Krakow to Vilnius. In the middle of the 17th century the temple and the mansion was set on fire by Russian cossacks, and was replaced by the current wooden church, built in year 1790. In the middle of the 19th century it was decorated with an altar, brought from the closed Bernardine church in Trakai. At the moment in the church there are 17th century paintings hanging that include “Madonna with Child” and “The Holy Family”, a painting on wood “Lamenting of Christ”, an altar with wooden sculptures from XIX century. MORE

Continental dunes in Rūdninkų Forest

DSC_0208       DSC_0978       DSC_0158

Rūdninkų Forest is is part of one of the largest arrays (forest complex) of Lithuania. Rūdninkų forest complex covers an area of ​​26 thousand hectares and one of the most valuable district areas. While wandering in Rūdninkų forest you can get an impression that one falls into a vicious area, where you can find yourself trapped. If you look around, you will see only trees, raise your head through the treetops, you will see only a piece of the sky, listen to the sounds around and you will hear birds singing in the distance, rustling leaves of the trees, pine trees bending in the wind, you can get an impression that you come near to a bear … the Forest stimulates feelings of unexpected quality. At Žygmantiškės village there are 30m tall continental dunes. This open sandy marsh, formed from constant fires caused by bombs, is a unique formation. MORE

Šulnio, Gulbino and Kernavė lakes

puszcza 074       puszcza 053       puszcza 075

There are three lakes in Rudninkai. Kernaves lake (81 hectares) is surrounded by swamps and mostly black alder or low pine trees growing on the fens. Šulinys lake (just 1.5 hectares), is also placed by the marshlands and swamps. It is a typical dystrophic type bog lake, a great habitat for small blossom water lilies. Towards south east Rūdninkų, close to the wetlands surrounding the continental dunes, you will find Gulbino lake. MORE

Hermit Hill

Hermit Hill lies just by the Kernavės lake. Rūdninkų locals tells that according to the legend, in the 19th century there was a hermit who poured the mountain, by bringing sand from the lake in his hat.

Eišiškių Ascension Church

DSC_8496       DSC_2548       DSC_8609

The present church made of stone was constructed between 1847-1852 by a well-known historian and engineer Teodoras Narbutas. The high bell tower (40m) with two doors on the sides is a rare architectural composition. There are many valuable paintings in the church, the most valuable of which come from the 18th and 19th centuries, including a portrait of the priest R. Kalinovski, and “Ascension” and “Mary”. These paintings are considered to be monuments of national importance. MORE

Eišiškių Market and adjacent streets

DSC_8513       DSC_8546       DSC_8532

Eišiškės is one of the oldest Lithuanian settlements in the south of Vilnius, near the Belarus border. The name given to the settlement ‘Eišiškės’, derives from the nobleman Eikšis (Eišis). In the Lithuanian Chronicles from 16th century is mentioned that Eišiškės were founded by the legendary Samogitian Duke Mantvilas son Mikšys, leader of the Erdvilo platoon.

The two parts of the Eišiškių town came up in the XIII-XIV century. In 1969 Eišiškių Market and adjacent streets were included in the Lithuanian local urban monuments list. MORE

Eišiškių castle

ejszyszki 857

Between the 14th -15th centuries, Eišiškių was formally a brick castle that defended Lithuania against enemies from eastern borders. In the 14th century chronicles, Eišiškių castle is mentioned as one of the oldest castles in Lithuania. Its shape is associated with a type of tower defence construction, widely known in the 13th century in the Volynė and Nemunas rivers upper reaches. It is supposed that in the 14th century the castle once belonged to Sudimantas, the father of Grand Duke Vytautas wife Ona. MORE

Rėžių stone

reziu-akmuo-1

Rėžių village is located close to another village, Butrimonys. In 1989 a new stone was discovered in this area, slightly smaller than the famous Puntukas stone, which weighs around 20 tonnes. More recently ten other significant stones were brought to Rėžiai, symbolising a millennium of the name of Lithuania. MORE

Kaniūkai Cross

DSC_1922       DSC_2005       DSC_1948

Kaniūkai village, located on the south-eastern outskirts of Rūdninkų forest near the present Lithuanian-Belarus border, next to the Šalčia river. In years 1920-1939 Kaniūkai belonged to the Polish controlled Vilnius region, Lida county, Benekainių parish. In 1943 in the village was founded a local self-defence unit. The self-defence unit was fighting against Soviet partisans, defended the kidnapped harvest, livestock and other property and did not obey the requirement to disarm. Unable to control the situation in south-eastern Lithuania and to suppress the self-defence unit armed resistance, Soviet partisans did a horrific demonstration of a “punishment” campaign. During the night of January 29, 1944, a Soviet partisan team, made up mostly of former Kaunas ghetto prisoners Jews and Soviet prisoners of war, led by Yakov Prenner, attacked the Kaniūkai village and burned its inhabitants. Over 100 people were killed. The killings were supposed to serve as a “punishment” for self-defence organization. A cross was built and erected to honour the murdered residents. MORE

Butrimonys St. Archangel Michael Church

DSC_2498       DSC_2529       DSC_2512

St. Archangel Michael’s Church was built in 1799 by Karolis Podčašinskis (Jašiūnų manor author). It was renovated in 1890, maintaining its pristine single nave plan. There are three altars, and a cosy interior   with upholstered walls with wooden boards, floors and ceilings. In the original façade there is an original balcony railing, and a statue of Christ. Butrimonių church holds 7 art monuments, including 18th century candlesticks. Next to the church there is a bell tower built by the Rakliškių estate owner Paulina Houvaltienė in 1901. The Houvaltų family are buried next to the church. MORE

CAR ROUTE – A3 (48km)

a3
A3

ŠALČININKAI – POŠKONYS (20 km) – LASTAUČIKAI (1 km) – RIMAŠIAI (2,5 km) – BĖČIONYS (3,5 km) – DIEVENIŠKĖS (3,6 km) – URELIAI (9 km) – NORVILIŠKĖS (4 km)

Vagner Palace

DSC_8976       DSC_9050       DSC_9014

One of the oldest buildings in Šalčininkų city is Vagner Palace, dating back to the 14th century. It has passed through many hands over the years, initially belonging to Glebavičius, and later Chodkevičiai, but since 1835 it has belonged to Vilnius pharmacists Martynas and Karolis Vagner. In 1880 Vitoldas Vagner built a two-story Neo-Renaissance-style palace with two porticoes. German architect Hetshold updated the building, merging a new palace with the original built by Chodkevičiai. Thus, “Oficina”was created in the old palace that included a special section of the building with rooms for the servants. Vagner Palace flourished during the inter-war period, when it was under control of Vitoldas son Karolis. Vagner farm (next to the Palace) was considered exemplary in the whole Vilnius region. The Vagner farm was being visited by many foreign delegations. Inside the Palace still stands a great tile stove and the so-called “golden hall”. It is currently home to the Arts School of Stanislaw Moniuszko (lit. Stanislavo Moniuškos menų mokykla). MORE

Ethnography museum in Poškonys

DSC_9206       DSC_9096       DSC_9086

An old school building in Poškonys was redesigned into the Dieveniškės Historical Regional Park visitor centre,located on the existing building foundation, restoring the authentic building volume and facade expression. A small museum contains a 19th-20thth century utensils and agricultural tools collected in the Dieveniškių town surroundings. There is also a loom, bedspreads, tablecloths, towels and selected patterned bands exhibition in the information centre. You can also see the stone sculptures park, book a tour guide and purchase brochures about the Park. MORE

Poškonys pond

DSC_9218       DSC_9230       DSC_9076

In historical sources Poškonys were first mentioned in Grand Duchy of Lithuania legislation documents in 1713. At that time the village belonged to the Arlaviščių estate, governed by landlord Jonas Žemla. According to the layout of homesteads and buildings, all the houses are on the same side of the street, which is called a one-street type settlement. Old homes and mansions were decorated manually by their habitants. Architecturally and historically valuable is the Old street. Most of the homesteads were built in the end of 19th century.

In 2008 on Gauja river a 27 hectares Poškonių pond have been installed. Pond beach have been equipped with arbors, children’s playground complex, fireplaces, dressing cabins. There was a road built to access the beach. MORE

Lastaučikų one-street village

Next to the Poškonių pond lies the Lastaučikų village. It belongs to the largest, one-street village type group.

Barrows in Poškonys

DSC_9638       DSC_9597       DSC_9600

Barrows are our ancestors’ graves. They were created when pouring over mounds to bury the dead. Around the barrow mounds are often found stone wreaths, which, according to ancient human beliefs, had to protected the dead from evil spirits. Often an ash layer is found under the barrow mound, showing that fire ceremonies had been performed. In subsequent barrows the stone wreaths were replaced by grooves or pits around the barrow. There are burial mounds, where the mounds are paved or stacked of stones. Barrows bury burned and not burned dead, sometimes in the same grave with the horses.

Poškonių barrows are on the left bank of the river Gauja in the forest. Barrows group consists of 24 burial mounds, located at the top of the hill and its slopes. Mounds are from 5- 6 m to 12 m in diameter, 0.7 to 1.2 m in height. The biggest mound is as wide as 22 meters in diameter and 1.8 m in height. At the bottom of the barrows there are irregular stone wreaths. MORE

Grybiškių Oak

DSC_9642       DSC_9692       DSC_9672

It is the largest and oldest oak in the Dieveniškės Historical Regional Park. Oak trunk volume is 4.98 m, diameter 1.6 m and a height of 26 m. Just by the Grybiškių Oak the largest Boletus mushroom in Lithuania have been found, which is registered in Lithuanian record book. Boletus weight was 3.05 kg, caps diameter of 49 cm. MORE

Grybiškių Pine

Grybiškių Pine is a state protected natural heritage object. Tree species – Scots pine. The trunk volume is 1.3 m, higher up- over 2.62 m, height – 21 m. Crown height – 11 m, crown width is 10 m, it has got an irregular shape which projection is over 100 m² width. Other peculiarities – Pine trunk has 6 very beautiful shafts. Pine tree is very distinguishable in its environment due to its beauty and age. Gribiškių Pine is about 100 years old. Its age was determined approximately, comparing with the trees growing around, whose age is known. Grybiškių Pine grows by the forest road, which used to be the main road connecting the two villages: Poškonys and Jurgelionys over 50 years ago. Now the road has lost its importance. The forest, surrounding the pine, was planted during the era of collective farms. The place is comfortable attending because it is near the Dieveniškių Historical Regional Parks’ hiking, bicycle and car routes. MORE

Mythological stones "Jankelis”, “Jankeliukas", "Mokas", "Užkeikta svodba"

Mythological stones are the natural monuments of the ice age. Huge stones “Jankelis” and “Jankeliukas” are located by the road Šalčininkai-Poškonys-Dieveniškės. “Jankelis” is 2.5 m out of 3.6 m big and 1.3 m high, “Jankeliukas “is a little bit smaller and reaches height of 1.2 m. According to a legend, the two musicians, who were returning from a wedding, decided to take some rest and were turned into the stones. It is said that at a certain time stones are crying. Spring water stone (other name is “Užkeikta Svodba”, eng. Cursed wedding) is in Zajašiškių forest area near Žižmos village. It is said that a brides’ mother cursed her daughters’ wedding guests and they turned into a stone. 2 km away from the “Užkeikta Svodba” in Dieveniškių forest barrows area there is a pole-shaped stone “Mokas”. For many years people believed the stone to have healing powers and went to the stone to treat their diseases, asked for protection against bad luck or disaster. MORE

One-street village Rimašiai

DSC_9850       DSC_0194       DSC_0266

Rimašiai village homesteads are located on the left bank of the Gauja river, the street repeats the river bend. Rimašiai were first mentioned in 1744. At that point and later on till the abolition of serfdom the village belonged to the Daubutiškių estate. Rural land was divided into three fields, these – in pieces, and the pieces – into strips. Each strip had its own name – Dvarnos, Siaurutės, Kamša, Plačiosios, Margiai and others. This had helped to organize the fields (each farmer owned 15 or more land strips). Homesteads were built on the southern side towards Dieveniškės, as on the northern side stretched a viscous swamp. Due to natural conditions arose a typical one-street village with all the houses located on the same side of the road, street was paved with stones. MORE

Bečionių Hill Fort

DSC_9858       DSC_9697       DSC_9700

For the first time Bečionių Hill Fort was investigated by the Institute of History in the middle of the last century. On the hill fort archaeologists discovered a cultural layer, ceramic lined and smooth surface. During the most recent archaeological research there were found many artifacts: traditional thrown pottery, black Gothic pottery, belt sheets, broken brushed ceramic pot and other small fragments of pottery (from I-IV century). There are thinner and thicker culture layers of the hill fort (II -I century B.C.- I-III A.D.) MORE

Dieveniškių urban complex

Dieveniškės – historically and architecturally interesting town. It is a typical example of an old Lithuanian settlement, mainly spread in the south-east of Lithuania and the neighborhood areas of Belarus. Dieveniškių street network structure and its development can be related to Šalčininkai, Geranainiai, Subatninkai and some other cities and towns. It is no coincidence that in year 1970 Dieveniškės have been included in the Lithuanian local urban monuments list. The most important urban monument in Dieveniškės – a rectangular square, which is located in the crossroad of five historical roads. The roads connected the city with Vilnius, Ašmena, Subatninkai, Geranainiai, Šalčininkai cities. MORE

St. Virgin Mary of the Rosary Church in Dieveniškės

DSC_9931

The original church was founded in 1471, but the current wooden church was built in 1783. The church contains valuable monuments – a cross, two easel paintings, three sculptures, two bells (made in 1743 and 1840). In the churchyard there is a monument dedicated to Motiejus Valančius, a Lithuanian bishop and writer.

In year 1903 a 21 meter high bell tower was built in front of the church. It has bells which are almost 200 years old. MORE

Urelių chapel

Urelių village begins and ends with chapels. At the crossroad, where the road splits to Daulėnai and Norviliškės roads, you can see the elegant wooden 2 m high chapel with four-slope tin roof. At the top of the chapel there is a wooden cross, inside – a sculpture. Another chapel is in the Urelių cemetery, where people who died during the World War II were buried. This chapel is made of bricks and is 6 m high. Inside you can find a 1.2 m tall wooden Christ, carrying a cross, sculpture.

Monastery in Norviliškės

DSC_9987       DSC_9969       DSC_0021-HDR

Norviliškės area is called Dieveniškių “appendage”. It is located about 12 km to the east from Dieveniškės, close to the Belarus border. While usually only the monastery is mentioned, in the very beginning it used to be a Renaissance Palace. Stone monastery was built in the beginning of 17th century according to the example of Slovak High Tatras Dolny Mitchyb. It had a dining room with a green tiled stove and 4 windows. There were also 6 barns for grain storage, on the second floor – a bedroom and a pantry. At the base of the building there were two basements, under the towers- two more. The whole building was covered with tiles and shingles.

In 1832 in Norviliškės monastery lived eight monks- four of them from the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and other four from the Kingdom of Poland. Unfortunately, the monastery was closed and the building was adapted for the tsarist troops barracks. In 1900-1915 years in the building lived the Agricultural School students. In 1918 the monastery building was adapted for a presbytery. At the moment a tourist centre complex is located in the old palace. MORE

CAR ROUTE – A4 (43km)

a4
A4

ŠALČININKAI – ŪTA (4,5 km) – STAKAI (9 km) – DAINAVĖLĖ (4,5 km) – POŠKONYS (7,5 km) – RIMAŠIAI (3,5 km) – BĖČIONYS (3,5 km) – DIEVENYŠKĖS (3,5 km) – ŽIŽMAI (3,5 km) – KRAKŪNAI (3,5 km)

Vagner Palace

DSC_8976       DSC_9050       DSC_9014

One of the oldest buildings in Šalčininkų city is Vagner Palace, dating back to the 14th century. It has passed through many hands over the years, initially belonging to Glebavičius, and later Chodkevičiai, but since 1835 it has belonged to Vilnius pharmacists Martynas and Karolis Vagner. In 1880 Vitoldas Vagner built a two-story Neo-Renaissance-style palace with two porticoes. German architect Hetshold updated the building, merging a new palace with the original built by Chodkevičiai. Thus, “Oficina”was created in the old palace that included a special section of the building with rooms for the servants. Vagner Palace flourished during the inter-war period, when it was under control of Vitoldas son Karolis. Vagner farm (next to the Palace) was considered exemplary in the whole Vilnius region. The Vagner farm was being visited by many foreign delegations. Inside the Palace still stands a great tile stove and the so-called “golden hall”. It is currently home to the Arts School of Stanislaw Moniuszko (lit. Stanislavo Moniuškos menų mokykla). MORE

Barrows in Stakai

It is the largest Dieveniškės region barrows group ( 42 burial mounds). Barrows are located in the north-south direction, in an elongated trapezoidal shape, about 150 m long, 50-90 meters wide. In the same field in 1952 was registered a first half of the I millennium cultural layer settlement. In 1952 nine burial mounds were being explored. In total the archeologist found 14 cremated tombs; in the sixth mound – even 5 of them. In the eastern part of the barrows, where mounds have stone wreaths, people were buried in 5th and 6th centuries. On the western outskirts, where barrows were made out of sand, the graves come from 10th-12th centuries and the mounds are surrounded by circular ditches. Worth to mention is one of the tombs of the ninth barrow, which was already eroded by treasure seekers, but archaeologists still managed to find some artifacts characteristic to 12th century: some thrown pottery fragments, an awl, whips necklaces and brass bracelets parts, several kinds of beads typical to the Slavic tribes from the East, brass temple ring.

Stakų Oak

Stakų Oak forms a nice, widely ramified cone and a low crown. This is a typical example of a tree which grew in the open landscape. “Free” growing tree canopy starts low, it is ussually wide, thick, has got a lot of thick branches. This is because the individual trees do not compete for light and space. They can widely “decompress” branches and also get more light. Oak trunk is 4.90 m wide, diameter- 1.6 m and it’s height is 24 meters. According to approximate calculations Stakai Oak is about 1000 years old. MORE

Dainavėlės hill

Dainavėlės hill is the highest point of the Dieveniškės Historical Regional Park and Šalčininkai district. Its height is 262.2 meters above sea level. It is possible to see the hill if you enter the Stakai Landscape Reserve.

Ethnography museum in Poškonys

DSC_9206       DSC_9096       DSC_9086

An old school building in Poškonys was redesigned into the Dieveniškės Historical Regional Park visitor centre, located on the existing building foundation, restoring the authentic building volume and facade expression. A small museum contains a 19th-20thth century utensils and agricultural tools collected in the Dieveniškių town surroundings. There is also a loom, bedspreads, tablecloths, towels and selected patterned bands exhibition in the information centre. You can also see the stone sculptures park, book a tour guide and purchase brochures about the Park. MORE

Borrows in Poškonys

DSC_9638       DSC_9597       DSC_9600

Barrows are our ancestors’ graves. They were created when pouring over mounds to bury the dead. Around the barrow mounds are often found stone wreaths, which, according to ancient human beliefs, had to protected the dead from evil spirits. Often an ash layer is found under the barrow mound, showing that fire ceremonies had been performed. In subsequent barrows the stone wreaths were replaced by grooves or pits around the barrow. There are burial mounds, where the mounds are paved or stacked of stones. Barrows bury burned and not burned dead, sometimes in the same grave with the horses.

Poškonių barrows are on the left bank of the river Gauja in the forest. Barrows group consists of 24 burial mounds, located at the top of the hill and its slopes. Mounds are from 5- 6 m to 12 m in diameter, 0.7 to 1.2 m in height. The biggest mound is as wide as 22 meters in diameter and 1.8 m in height. At the bottom of the barrows there are irregular stone wreaths. MORE

Grybiškių Oak

DSC_9642       DSC_9692       DSC_9672

It is the largest and oldest oak in the Dieveniškės Historical Regional Park. Oak trunk volume is 4.98 m, diameter 1.6 m and a height of 26 m. Just by the Grybiškių Oak the largest Boletus mushroom in Lithuania have been found, which is registered in Lithuanian record book. Boletus weight was 3.05 kg, caps diameter of 49 cm. MORE

Grybiškių Pine

Grybiškių Pine is a state protected natural heritage object. Tree species – Scots pine. The trunk volume is 1.3 m, higher up- over 2.62 m, height – 21 m. Crown height – 11 m, crown width is 10 m, it has got an irregular shape which projection is over 100 m² width. Other peculiarities – Pine trunk has 6 very beautiful shafts. Pine tree is very distinguishable in its environment due to its beauty and age. Gribiškių Pine is about 100 years old. Its age was determined approximately, comparing with the trees growing around, whose age is known. Grybiškių Pine grows by the forest road, which used to be the main road connecting the two villages: Poškonys and Jurgelionys over 50 years ago. Now the road has lost its importance. The forest, surrounding the pine, was planted during the era of collective farms. The place is comfortable attending because it is near the Dieveniškių Historical Regional Parks’ hiking, bicycle and car routes. MORE

One street village in Rimašiai

DSC_9850       DSC_0194       DSC_0266

Rimašiai village homesteads are located on the left bank of the Gauja river, the street repeats the river bend. Rimašiai were first mentioned in 1744. At that point and later on till the abolition of serfdom the village belonged to the Daubutiškių estate. Rural land was divided into three fields, these – in pieces, and the pieces – into strips. Each strip had its own name – Dvarnos, Siaurutės, Kamša, Plačiosios, Margiai and others. This had helped to organize the fields (each farmer owned 15 or more land strips). Homesteads were built on the southern side towards Dieveniškės, as on the northern side stretched a viscous swamp. Due to natural conditions arose a typical one-street village with all the houses located on the same side of the road, street was paved with stones. MORE

Bėčionių Hill Fort

DSC_9858       DSC_9697       DSC_9700

For the first time Bečionių Hill Fort was investigated by the Institute of History in the middle of the last century. On the hill fort archaeologists discovered a cultural layer, ceramic lined and smooth surface. During the most recent archaeological research there were found many artifacts: traditional thrown pottery, black Gothic pottery, belt sheets, broken brushed ceramic pot and other small fragments of pottery (from I-IV century). There are thinner and thicker culture layers of the hill fort (II -I century B.C.- I-III A.D.). MORE

Dieveniškių urban complex

Dieveniškės – historically and architecturally interesting town. It is a typical example of an old Lithuanian settlement, mainly spread in the south-east of Lithuania and the neighborhood areas of Belarus. Dieveniškių street network structure and its development can be related to Šalčininkai, Geranainiai, Subatninkai and some other cities and towns. It is no coincidence that in year 1970 Dieveniškės have been included in the Lithuanian local urban monuments list. The most important urban monument in Dieveniškės – a rectangular square, which is located in the crossroad of five historical roads. The roads connected the city with Vilnius, Ašmena, Subatninkai, Geranainiai, Šalčininkai cities. MORE

St. Virgin Mary of the Rosary Church in Dieveniškės

DSC_9931

The original church was founded in 1471, but the current wooden church was built in 1783. The church contains valuable monuments – a cross, two easel paintings, three sculptures, two bells (made in 1743 and 1840). In the churchyard there is a monument dedicated to Motiejus Valančius, a Lithuanian bishop and writer.

In year 1903 a 21 meter high bell tower was built in front of the church. It has bells which are almost 200 years old. MORE

Mythological stones „Jankelis“, Jankeliukas“, „Mokas“, „Užkeikta svodba“

Mythological stones are the natural monuments of the ice age. Huge stones “Jankelis “and “Jankeliukas” are located by the road Šalčininkai-Poškonys-Dieveniškės”. Jankelis” is 2.5 m out of 3.6 m big and 1.3 m high, “Jankeliukas” is a little bit smaller and reaches height of 1.2 m. According to a legend, the two musicians, who were returning from a wedding, decided to take some rest and were turned into the stones. It is said that at a certain time stones are crying. Spring water stone (other name is “Užkeikta Svodba”, eng. Cursed wedding) is in Zajašiškių forest area near Žižmos village. It is said that a brides’ mother cursed her daughters’ wedding guests and they turned into a stone. 2 km away from the “Užkeikta Svodba” in Dieveniškių forest barrows area there is a pole-shaped stone “Mokas”. For many years people believed the stone to have healing powers and went to the stone to treat their diseases, asked for protection against bad luck or disaster. MORE

Ethnographic village Žižmai

etnografiniai-žižmai-1

The village is situated between Gauja river tributary Berželis and the north side of the highlands, near Dieveniškės – Geranainių road. From Žižma village to the district centre is 30 km, to Dieveniškės town – 3 km. In 1385 Dieveniškės name was mentioned for the first time by Teutonic Order spies in their historical documents. At that point there was already the former mansion here- a feudal centre of the surrounding areas. It is undisputed that Žižma village was one of the estates under the feudal centre rule. The oldest known historical source where Žižma village is mentioned states that the settlement was inhabited by 7 families in year 1737. Number of homesteads significantly increased in the second half of 18th century ( in 1775 there were already 13 of them). In the middle of 19th century, before the abolition of serfdom, the settlement has been completely formed. From the first note about Žižmai in documents, till the beginning of 18th century there is a note about Šilabritų family. Before the Second World War, there have been a 4 grades private elementary school, patronized by “Rytas” organization, a St. Kazimieras Society Unit, a Lithuanian reading-room. Country houses have different forms of buildings, different position towards the street, different number and combination of the buildings, different fence position.

Memorial place for Gintaras Žagūnis in Krakūnai

memorialine-zaguniui-1

Žagunis was born in 1957 in Pakruojis district, then studied in Trakai and Lentvaris. After graduating from Vilnius Civil Engineering School he worked as a foreman, engineer, senior technician builder. Since 1984 he served in the Ministry of the Interior and the State Government building security. In November 1991 G. Žagunis started his State Border Service, in 1991 February was appointed for the shift boss post of the Dieveniškės border patrol service. For six months before his death he was on his duty in Krakūnai border post. At that time, the Soviet troops used to set fire to the Lithuanian border posts, terrorizing officials who were working there. In May 1991 in response to the dangerous situation the authorities decided to temporarily abandon these border posts and to transfer the border guards vans to a safer places. Krakūnai post guards remained at the post van. Žagunis told to his colleagues to go to rest, but he himself remained on duty. “If someone has to die, it’s better be one of us, and not all” – he added. At night on May 19 in 1991 Žagūnis faced his death – a group of armed men, who came from Belarus border direction, took a young man’s life.

In November 2004 the memory of Gintaras Žagūnis death on the Krakūnai post was honored setting a granite monument- almost five-meter granite sculpture, symbolizing the Lithuanian border hero sacrifice. MORE

Scroll to Top